Being recognized this month as a Top Sales Influencer made me wonder: What IS an influencer, and how can this help build a business or a brand? I mean, it is a great thing to have happened – quite an honor – but what is it, really?
Wikipedia talks about identifying influencers:
Market research techniques can be used to identify influencers, using pre-defined criteria to determine the extent and type of influence. For example, Keller and Berry propose five attributes of influencers:
- Activists: influencers get involved, with their communities, political movements, charities and so on.
- Connected: influencers have large social networks
- Impact: influencers are looked up to and are trusted by others
- Active minds: influencers have multiple and diverse interests
- Trendsetters: influencers tend to be early adopters (or leavers) in markets
Ultimately we don’t know if it is our minds, connections, activity, impact, or setting trends that got noticed – but we do understand that these areas are what need to be developed here and in our client companies to stand out, be recognized, and grow revenues.
David Spark wrote a post for Mashable on How to Become an Online Influencer – we have implemented many of the ideas he mentions.
is 2012 the year of INFLUENCE for you and your company? Post a comment on what you are doing to gain visibility – these ideas help others. Post your challenges and successes – we’ll share them.